Tier 4 Child Student Visa


UK Child Student Visa is required for underage overseas students who would like to study in the UK. This type of visa is suitable and required for international students including EEA students who would like to study at the UK Boarding School, study at UK Colleges, study at The UK University – bachelor’s degrees. Part of the requirements is to have a UK based Guardian. For more details about Guardianship services please visit our sister company British Guardianship


Students between the age of 4 and 17 who want to study at an independent school in the UK can apply for a Child Student Visa (formerly known as Tier 4 (Child) student visa).

You can apply for this visa if:

  • you have received an unconditional offer of a place on a course at an independent school
  • you can present proof that you have sufficient money to support your study costs and other expenses in the UK
  • you have proof of your parents or guardian consent to study in the UK

Note that this visa is for students who are under 18 years old.

Applicants from the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein should get updated information regarding visa regulations. Feel free to contact us at any time. Irish citizens do not need to apply for a visa or to the EU Settlement Scheme.

  • What Courses You Can Study

    If you want to study in the UK on a Child Student Visa, you must have received an unconditional offer of a place on a course with a licensed Child Student sponsor. It is important to have your CAS before you apply for your visa.

    Students are allowed to study a course at an independent school if that course is taught based on one of the following criteria:

    • The national curriculum
    • The Regulated Qualifications Framework (RQF) at level 3 or below
    • Independent school education inspection standards

    You're not allowed to study a foundation course in order to enter a higher education institution.

  • Necessary Documents

    • Valid travel documents such as your current passport
    • Proof of consent from your parent or guardian to study in the UK
    • CAS letter from your course provider
    • Proof of sufficient fund to support your study costs and other expenses
    • Your tuberculosis test results

    The parental (or guardian) consent you present must confirm that they consent to:

    • your visa application
    • your accommodation arrangements
    • your travel to the UK

    Note that written consent from both parents is essential.

    There might be other documents you need to present through your application process. Please get in touch with so we can guide you.

  • Money Requirements

    The amount of money you will need depends on several factors, including the city you want to live in, your course, the institution you'll choose, etc.

    If someone wants to accompany you to the UK and live with you, like your parent or guardian, they must apply for a Parent of a Child Student Visa. Both you and your parent need £1,560 per month (for up to 9 months). If your parent wants to bring another child with them, they must have an extra £625 a month (for up to 9 months) for each child. Note that there are certain rules regarding this matter, so please contact us for more information.

    Accommodation fees regarding boarding schools differ based on which school you choose. If you choose to live with your relative, there are some requirements. First of all, your relative must be a British citizen or be settled in the UK and second, they must prove that they have at least £570 per month (for up to 9 months).

    Students who are 16 or 17 and want to live on their own must have sufficient money to pay for their courses up to 9 months. As you know, the cost of studying in London is different from other parts of the UK. Students should be able to pay £1,334 per month (for up to 9 months) if they want to study in London and £1,023 per month (for up to 9 months) for other cities.

    Note that under specific circumstances, students won't need to present proof that they have enough money to support themselves.

    Please contact us to get detailed information about what financial documents you must present.

How to apply

The answer to this question depends on whether you apply for a visa from inside the UK or outside. If you are in the UK, the earliest you can apply for a visa is three months before your course starts and if you are applying from outside the UK, six months.


How Long You Can Stay

The duration that students are allowed to stay in the UK depends on these factors:

  • Students' age
  • The date of submitting the application
  • The length of each course

If you are 16 or 17, please contact us to get specific details about this matter.

What you can and cannot do

You are allowed to study at an independent school.

Students who are 16 or over are allowed to work:

  • up to 10 hours per week during the term
  • full-time during the holidays
  • on a work placement as part of their course (under specific circumstances)

You are not allowed to:

  • request for public funds
  • work in certain positions, for example as a sport coach
  • work as a freelancer
  • study at a public-funded institution

Once your application is successful, you’ll receive a complete list of instructions regarding what you are allowed to do with a Child Student Visa.


The cost of applying for a Child Student Visa is different based on where you are applying from.

  • Students from outside the UK need to pay £348.
  • Students from inside the UK who want to extend their visa or switch to a Child Student Visa need to pay £475.

Also, there’s the matter of healthcare surcharge fees. The amount of this fee is different based on your circumstances, please get in touch with us for detailed information.

Tier4Visa statement

Visa information may change without prior notice. This content should be used only as informal guidance, for up to date information please always contact Tier4Visa or follow official government website .

Tier4Visa cannot guarantee your successful Visa application and we cannot make a Visa application on your behalf. Tier4Visa provides professional Visa guidance only to students which are applying to our UK educational partners and institutions via our sister companies UKstudy, BritishUni or BritishGuardianship.

Our Promise

With over 20 years’ experience our team of dedicated educational consultants will provide the up-to-date requirements and guide you throughout the VISA process. We aim to actively promote British education all around the globe.

Our Services

Each year over 20.000 students have benefited from the services of StudyFirst Group. Students are awarded places at language schools, colleges and universities in the UK with extensive VISA support and guardianship services


Educational Partners

Study First Group Partner
BritishUni Partner
British Guardianship Partner
UK Study Partner
Tours For Groups Partner